[Mailman-Developers] [GSoC 2014] Mailman CLI Project

Rajeev S rajeevs1992 at gmail.com
Wed May 28 00:50:14 CEST 2014

On Tuesday 27 May 2014 12:27 PM, Abhilash Raj wrote:
> Rajeev S <rajeevs1992 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Both of these options looks clean to me as a user. So if I am right you
> have completed
>
> * Listing of domains
> * Listing of mailing lists(filtered by domain also)
> * Creating domains
> * Creating mailing lists
>
> Right?
>
> Since this tool is meant for the users, you should write better
> documentation. Like in using.txt#39 what does long listing mean? What
> does `--verbose` do for listing a domain? Or even for listing all the
> lists?
>
> As I understand using.txt is more of a command reference than documentation?
>
> Are there only these two options for lists and domains? What about
> editing any list? Adding and removing user roles will be possible after
> you have create the `user` scope but editing of other parameters can be
> done?

No, there are more options for lists and domains, many of which
are dependent on the users. Some of the other options are list-members,
edit and export(to CSV)/import. Hence, these would be easier to build
after a basic user class is available.

> Also maybe you can try making your tool a little more smart? Like lets
> say I try to create a list abhilash at raj.com and there is no domain
> raj.com in the database, so instead of just showing error maybe you can
> ask the user:
>
> "The domain raj.com does not exist, Do you want to create one? [y/n]"
>
> Just adding all the options using argparse is really not a very tough
> job (and with your pace, it is definitely not going to last more than
> one month ;-). Try to put some more thought to how you can make this
> tool more intuitive for the end user.
> What I belive is that deleting a domain should not strightforward, any
> destructive command should not be. Would it not be nice to prompt the
> user once before deleting? as in
>
> "There are 100 lists associated with this domain. Once deleted you
> cannot undo it, Do you really want to delete xxx at yyy.com?"[y/n]
>
> Or maybe it could schedule a deletion after a pre-defined time with a
> reasonable default lets say "1 Day"? And for an urgency(to delete) there
> could be --force argument?
>
> I roughly went through your code, and I have a few more points:
>
> * You should write tests, before writing more code. Infact you should
>    follow TDD (ofcourse if you are comfortable doing it) since the
>    outcome of your commands is less likely to change, even though your
>    code does.
> * The commit messages should be written in a language that tells a
>    reader "What this commit does?". Like "Adds documentation file
>    using.txt". Instad of answering "What I have done in this commit?"
>    Although it is my point of view, AFAIK it is also preferred by many
>    other developers.(See commit messages of barry on lp:mailman)

Everything else seems fine. Will apply the necessary changes.