[Mailman-Developers] [GSoC 2014] Mailman CLI Project

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed May 14 05:19:48 CEST 2014

Barry Warsaw writes:

 > Would --list be implied by seeing a `--listname=list at example.com`?
 > E.g. would this be just as useful, and a little shorter:
 >
 > mmclient show --listname=list at example.com --domain=example.org

Are you thinking that this is equivalent to

    mmclient show --list --listname=list at example.com
    mmclient show --domain=example.org

which would display the set of subscribers for list at example.com and
the set of lists for example.org?  I can see that as a minor
convenience, but it doesn't seem useful enough to allow.

 > "In the face of ambiguity, refuse the temptation to guess."

Rajeev, do you know about the Zen of Python?  If not yet, try
"python -m this".  :-)

 > I just want it to be consistent, easily described, and easily understood by
 > users.  If it makes sense for the mmclient CLI to different from the
 > shell-access mailman command, then we at least need to be "translatable"
 > between the two.

What do you mean by "shell-access mailman command"?
src/mailman/bin/mailman.py?