[Mailman-Developers] Using git for mailman development during GSoC is NOT RECOMMENDED

Terri Oda terri at toybox.ca
Sat Mar 15 19:29:01 CET 2014

I just added the following note to the wiki and I want to repeat it here:

While it is possible to use a git mirror or other tools to use git for
Mailman core and Postorius development, we DO NOT RECOMMEND USING GIT
for GSoC.  Merge requests need to happen on launchpad (that is the one
way new code gets accepted into those projects), and previous GSoC
students have found that the time required to make it all work is more
than they anticipated.  (We may one day switch to git, but it won't be
happening this summer.)

Sorry!  I know our official stance for regular contributors is "use
whatever as long as you can submit a launchpad merge request" but for
GSoC students, you're on a short timeline that's going to be busier at
the end than the beginning and experience says it's much safer to learn
launchpad and use it from the get-go than risk time-consuming problems
later in the process.

  Terri