[Mailman-Developers] Moderation rules priority

Aurelien Bompard aurelien at bompard.org
Tue Mar 11 22:25:16 CET 2014

Hey!

I'd like to discuss what happens when an email is sent by both a
member and a nonmember in Mailman3. How is that possible? Very easy,
here's my use case : I have my own domain, say example.com, and for
convenience and portability I choose to use Gmail as a
server/storage/interface. My main adress is alice at example.com and I
redirect it to alice at gmail.com, while I set a default identity in
gmail to alice at example.com which will set the proper From header.
However, for spam detection and spoofing reasons, gmail adds a Sender
header with alice at gmail.com. My outgoing emails thus have both a From
and a Sender header, and in this case email clients only display the
>From header (except Outlook, but eh...)

Mailman now: when I subscribe to a list, I use my regular address,
alice at example.com. But the message.senders property will contain both
addresses because of the Sender header. The email goes through the
MemberModeration rule, which finds my subscribed address and, by
default, associates the "defer" action.
The email then goes through the NonMemberModeration rule, which finds
my Gmail address and sets the action to "hold" (it ignores my main
address because it's a member already).

What do you think about all that? Do you agree there's actually an
issue there? Any idea how to solve it? For example, make the NonMember
rule exit if a member is found amongst the senders (which would simply
be equivalent to making it yield to the Member rule). Bad idea?

Aurélien