[Mailman-Developers] Continuous integration tool for the Mailman suite

Emily Dunham dunhame at onid.orst.edu
Thu Feb 20 17:48:29 CET 2014

Shubham,

You're on the right track by getting into IRC and posting on the mailing
list! On IRC, it helps to ask a specific question and then wait about 8
hours for a reply, since the developers are in a wide variety of different
time zones.

Congratulations on getting the Vagrant VM set up already! I've found that
that process can be anywhere from easy to infuriating, depending on your
host system's configuation. With that up and running, here's what I'd do
next:

1) If you're not already familiar with the Bazaar and Launchpad development
workflow, read up on it at
http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/MailmanOnLaunchpad and
http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/MailmanBranches to get familiar with the
bzr workflow and make sure you're making your changes on the correct
branch.

2) Look through the Mailman issue tracker at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman and find simple bugs that you can
confirm and then write tests for. Communicate with the people who have
submitted and worked on the bugs you're looking at, to make sure your tests
capture them correctly.

3) Write those tests, while studying Python best practices for testing and
the conventions of Mailman's existing tests.

4) Research the similarities and differences between various Continuous
Integration tools and ask questions on the list and in IRC to determine how
Mailman's testing needs correlate to the tools' strengths and weaknesses.

Good luck, have fun, and come here or the IRC channel if you have any
problems getting things set up!

--Emily Dunham
Also a prospective GSOC student, interested in CI and command-line tool
projects