[Mailman-Developers] Messages not sent out of mailman v3.0.0b4

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Tue Aug 19 20:58:28 CEST 2014

Apologies for the delay, I was on vacation.

On Aug 12, 2014, at 03:13 PM, Alex Azevedo wrote:

>we are using mailman 3.0.0b4 and we are currently have some problems with
>some messages that are not being sent out of mailman.

There should be artifacts in both the Mailman logs and in your MTA logs.

>I would like to know if in this version we have a command to check all
>messages queued on mailman, and what’s the expected behavior of mailman in
>this case.

You can just ls your <root>/var/queue directories to see if any files have
gotten stuck.  If you see anything in shunt it means Mailman hit an error
during the processing of this message, and there should definitely be log
entries that provide more detail.

Once you have a specific queue file you want to inspect, use
`mailman qfile <path>` to dump the pickles contained in the file.  One pickle
will be the message metadata dictionary and the other will be the message
object.

>I mean, we’ve restarted mailman - these messages should be sent?  the queue
>files should be deleted after that?  I’m grep’ing and just found some entries
>of an specific message that i’m looking for on var/queue/pipeline/ dir. What
>does that means?

It means the pipeline runner isn't processing those messages.  `pipeline` is
the queue runner that takes messages which have been accepted for posting to
the mailing list, and prepares them for being sent.  It runs all the handlers
defined in the mailing list's `posting_pipeline` handler list (unless it's
destined for the list owners, in which case it runs the `owner_pipeline` list
of handlers.

One of those handlers should be `to-outgoing` which copies the message to
var/queue/out.  From there, the outgoing runner dequeues them and passes them
off to the MTA for final delivery.

Use ps to see if your pipeline runner is running or not.

Cheers,