[Mailman-Developers] Author_is_list option in upcoming mailman 2.1.16

Franck Martin franck at peachymango.org
Fri Sep 13 21:18:31 CEST 2013

----- Original Message -----

DKIM does not require that the d= to be linked to the domains in the From: that's what DMARC do.

Mailman breaks DKIM as soon as you add a footer or tag in the subject line, which a lot of lists do (including this one). The rule with DKIM is to consider any broken DKIM signature as if there was no signature at all. So for instance this list mailman-developers will break all DKIM signatures when resending emails. Mailman could in fact strip DKIM at reception and this would be same effect.

So let me explain what author_is_list achieves.

if I post to this list using any of these domains which have a p=reject DMARC policy (linkedin.com, paypal.com, twitter.com,...). The original DKIM signature will be broken, and SPF while being valid, will not be aligned, not the same organizational domain as in the From:

So DMARC will fail, creating the email to be bounced when being resent to members at gmail,yahoo,hotmail,aol,comacast,.. Note: This add to the unsubscription count for these members.

With Author is list, the From: becomes (I simplified):
From: mailman-developers at python.org

python.org does not have a DMARC policy, therefore the email will not be bounced due to DMARC for members at gmail,yahoo,hotmail,...

For a receiver, the IP is known, the headers contains the List-Id, so what is in the From has not much impact (besides the DMARC check), because it is mainly about the reputation of the sending IP that makes the email delivered to your mailbox.

> Also, it seems that an installation would want to validate in some way
> incoming mail before taking responsibility, even in a minor way, for
> resending it.

This would be appreciated, but I'm not sure why adding this extra burden on author_is_list is needed. All installations of mailman should validate somehow messages before resending them, with or without author_is_list.

> All of this leads me to think that making this available to list owners
> should be an installation decision rather than being done by default.

I'm not bent on if this option stays in the config file, I find already awesome that the option is present and we (the people using DMARC) have the opportunity to build adoption. Just trying to reduce adoption friction ;)