[Mailman-Developers] Migration script from MM2 to MM3

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Mon Oct 21 23:28:25 CEST 2013

On Oct 21, 2013, at 03:03 PM, Ian Eiloart wrote:

>Presumably, with some lists on 2.1, and others on 3.0.

That's the goal.  I think it's really important to allow sysadmins to migrate
lists in phases so they can gain confidence and experience with the new system
without committing to it whole hog.

>That would mean the admin would need to be able to specify which lists to
>migrate.
>
>I guess you might want to consider whether special handling is needed for
>virtual domains. I know we’ve been operating a nasty cludge, where we’re
>using SUBDOMAIN_LISTNAME at DOMAIN for an internal representation of
>LISTNAME at SUBDOMAIN.DOMAIN. I suppose that’s unusual or unique, but it might
>be nice to allow migration of a list in 2.1 to a list with a new name in 3.0.

Sounds like we may need some hooks in the migration scripts so that admins can
customize it for their needs.  But in general, you're probably right that at
least the migration script will need to take a source list name and migrate
that to a destination list.

Cheers,
-Barry