[Mailman-Developers] Migration script from MM2 to MM3

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Mon Oct 21 16:03:22 CEST 2013

On 21 Sep 2013, at 16:48, Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org> wrote:

> On Sep 20, 2013, at 12:46 PM, Aurelien Bompard wrote:
>
>> What do you think? Bad timing? Any existing work I'm missing?
>
> I think it's a *great* idea.
>
> No, perfect timing.
>
> Not that I know of! :)
>
> What we've said in the past is that we weren't going to promise conversion
> scripts from 2.1 to 3.0, partly because that work was incomplete, but also
> because we wanted to caution users not to just blindly upgrade as soon as 3.0
> is released.  But I think having a reliable, well-tested, non-destructive
> option to upgrade would be wonderful, especially because I fully hope that a
> site could run 2.1 and 3.0 together for a while.

Presumably, with some lists on 2.1, and others on 3.0.

That would mean the admin would need to be able to specify which lists to migrate.

I guess you might want to consider whether special handling is needed for virtual domains. I know we’ve been operating a nasty cludge, where we’re using SUBDOMAIN_LISTNAME at DOMAIN for an internal representation of LISTNAME at SUBDOMAIN.DOMAIN. I suppose that’s unusual or unique, but it might be nice to allow migration of a list in 2.1 to a list with a new name in 3.0.

> Any help you need, let me know.
>
> (I've been ridiculously swamped at work these past few weeks.  Apologies for
> being rather quiet lately.  I hope that'll improve in the next couple of
> weeks.)
>
> Cheers,
> -Barry

Ian Eiloart