[Mailman-Developers] REST API call for creating archive view?

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Thu Nov 7 16:15:51 CET 2013

On Nov 07, 2013, at 02:50 PM, Colin Fleming wrote:

>I'm interested in using Mailman to set up a mailing list for my product.
>I'd like to have it be fully integrated into my website, so I'm planning to
>use Mailman 3 and the REST API. I've checked out mailman.client and poked
>around, and also looked at
>http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/3.0/files/head:/src/mailman/rest/docs/,
>but the one thing I couldn't see was any way to access mail messages
>themselves. Is there a way to create an archive view (i.e. present a view
>of all messages in a list and allow reading particular mails) using the
>current API?

While we could (and should) add a REST API for accessing the IMessageStore, I
think this will not be very useful for you.  That API would just return the
message text based on the Message-ID (or hash) that you want to look up.  It
wouldn't have any support for common archiving structure like threading, etc.

It would be better for you to implement an IArchiver plugin to get the
messages fed to you as they come in.  Of course, then you'd have to implement
the archiver yourself, or you can use one of the standard archiver plugins
such as for HyperKitty or MHonArc.

And actually, having a REST API to HyperKitty is probably the best long-term
approach.  Perhaps Aurélien can speak to that.