[Mailman-Developers] Wiki Migration Update

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Sun Jun 16 17:43:48 CEST 2013

On Jun 15, 2013, at 09:09 PM, Paul Boddie wrote:

>It's been a couple of months or so since my last update, and I finally got
>round to doing some more work on the content migration from Confluence to
>MoinMoin.
>
>As always, the results can be found here:
>
>http://mmwiki.boddie.org.uk/

It's looking great Paul.  I really appreciate your continued efforts here.
I'd like to hear especially from Mark and the other top wiki editors what they
think is still necessary before we can pull off the migration.  We all know it
won't be perfect, but I think it has to be just good enough that a manual
cleanup is tractable.  A migration would provide a good opportunity to do some
much needed gardening. ;)

Here are some of my thoughts:

* Once we migrate we can probably get rid of the spaces.  I think that's a
  Confluence-ism that doesn't translate as well to Moin.  That should be easy
  enough to do manually, right?

* We'll want a moderate amount of theming to be more consistent with the web
  site, but the latter also is in dire need of an update.

* The top link on the FAQ page doesn't work.
  http://mmwiki.boddie.org.uk/DOC/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions

* Only the FAQ 4 page has sub-FAQ numbers.  (BTW, do you know of any Moin
  feature to make creating and managing a FAQ nicer?)

* How will we control wiki spam on the new site?  Right now, we allow anyone
  to sign up and read, but they must request write access.  When they do, we
  add their userid to a special group that has write to any wiki page (except
  the currently unused private pages).  Can we have the same setup for Moin?
  I think it's *probably* okay to just have people re-request write access
  after a migration (no need to automate the user/group migration I think).

It seems to me the Moin wiki is pretty darn close.  If Mark and others agree,
I can start the ball rolling to request the necessary resources and DNS
shuffles.

Cheers,