[Mailman-Developers] Starting prep for GSoC 2013

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Wed Jan 9 21:09:25 CET 2013

Happy new year, all!

Although this year's GSoC hasn't actually been announced yet, now's a
good time for us to start figuring out what we as an organization want
to do.

So here's some questions to get us started:

(a) Who would like to mentor for GSoC 2013?

I'm hoping all of you who participated last year are interested in doing
it again, and I'm happy to take on a few more mentors if there's anyone
new who'd like to help out.

(b) What projects do we have that would be appropriate for students?

Generally we give students new features and wishlist items -- if someone
has time to do a quick scan of the bug queues for
Mailman/postorius/hyperkitty and suggest a list that would totally be
awesome.

(c) What intro documentation do we need to make it easy for students to
get ramped up?

I'd like to see:
- overview architecture documentation (probably drawn from Barry's book
chapter/pycon talk)
- an updated "getting started" (basically the 5-minute guide expanded
for less experienced developers)
- a VM image with everything set up for people to try (preferably Ubuntu)

Anything else you'd like to see?  Anyone want to offer to start on any
of these?  The VM image shouldn't be to hard to set up.

(d) What do we want student proposals to look like?

We talked last year about how we'd like to have a more consistent
proposal format for students to follow; can one of our more experienced
admins write a proposal template & guidelines that we can have ready?

  Terri