[Mailman-Developers] Mailman-Developers Digest, Vol 286, Issue 7

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Tue Feb 26 18:38:13 CET 2013

On 02/26/2013 08:23 AM, Chris Cargile wrote:
> At minimum, I think it is important to get confirmation whether the
> confluence snapshot (wiki.list.org) is just a snapshot and we can direct
> our efforts at updating the documentation there? also, on that note, what
> would be the sphinx documentation role in all this and/or how necessary is
> it to understand that system?

You've more or less guessed how it works, but just for confirmation,
here's the deal:

- Each package contains individual setup documentation and doctests
- wiki.list.org contains all other documentation, like the FAQ, larger
user/admin guides, architectural notes, ideas from sprints, GSoC
efforts, etc.

We do "duplicate" setup docs in both places so that they're easier to
find and easier for non-devs to edit in case something's confusing or
inaccurate.  There's no specific process for keeping them in sync since
there are relatively few edits.

So in short: for you personally, editing the wiki documentation is the
preferred way to help and you can treat it as the canonical
documentation location.  You can, in the case of errors, also submit
merge requests to fix the documentation in the source tree.  At some
point, I imagine Paul will tell us the migration is ready to go and
we'll freeze the wiki, but for now go ahead and edit there.

> Finally, for the confluence system, I noticed there is more of a total CMS
> offering vs. just the wiki functionality and wanted to know will the blog
> etc be maintained disparately after we move to a moin system?

Barry just uses the blog functionality as a news area; I'm guessing a
"recent news" page would probably suffice for this.  I expect we'll keep
the Confluence wiki around for a little while after the migration, but
since it's a minor hassle to get our license renewed, I expect it will
lapse eventually.

I still have a todo list item reminding me that we'd like a new website
for Mailman 3.0's release (including cleaning up the myriad different
docs available for previous versions) so maybe at that point we'll go
back to using the front page for news updates.

  Terri