[Mailman-Developers] Mailman-Developers Digest, Vol 286, Issue 7

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Feb 26 17:11:23 CET 2013

On Tuesday 26 February 2013 16:23:56 Chris Cargile wrote:

> - IOW, could we assume the wiki.list.org is the de facto location for
> overall MM3 documentation and that bzr or pythonhosted.org would be where
> the individual component's documentation should be maintained for now?

I'll stay out of any discussion about Mailman documentation because I'm not
really involved in Mailman development.

> At minimum, I think it is important to get confirmation whether the
> confluence snapshot (wiki.list.org) is just a snapshot and we can direct
> our efforts at updating the documentation there? also, on that note, what
> would be the sphinx documentation role in all this and/or how necessary is
> it to understand that system?

I'm guessing here that you're referring to the DOC space generally and
documents like the following specifically:

http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/Mailman+2.1+Members+Manual

So I interpret your question as being whether the documentation on the Wiki is
just a snapshot of some documentation maintained elsewhere or whether the
work is being done on the Wiki itself.

> Finally, for the confluence system, I noticed there is more of a total CMS
> offering vs. just the wiki functionality and wanted to know will the blog
> etc be maintained disparately after we move to a moin system?

My aim is to support blog functionality since it shouldn't be anything
fundamentally different from what Moin does even without extensions. There
seems to be things like activity logs, and Moin doesn't really support
this "out of the box" for each contributor, but I've been meaning to
implement such functionality for Moin anyway.

If there is any functionality that you are wondering about, by all means
provide a link to an example of its usage and I'll try and give an opinion on
whether it will be easily supported or not. Generally, the border between
Wiki and CMS territory is vague (a Wiki is a form of CMS, after all) and it
can be quite straightforward to add functionality regarded as CMS-specific to
Moin.

Paul