[Mailman-Developers] GSoC 2013 ideas page

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Sun Feb 17 20:06:30 CET 2013

First up, you're a bit early: we haven't even *applied* to be part of
GSoC, let alone been accepted, and we're still at the point of trying to
figure out what projects are feasible and what ones we have the
necessary mentors for.

So what I'd suggest for you right now:

(1) Give us a week or two to refine those ideas before assuming they're
actually suitable for a GSoC project and that we have the mentoring
support necessary to do them.

That one, to be honest, may be too small to be a complete GSoC project
in and of itself.  I expect it will have to be paired with a couple of
other features before it'd be anywhere near 3 months of paid work.

(2) Given that you have experience with django, I'd like to encourage
you to consider some of the bigger projects in the interface.   You've
already done some bug fixes, why not try to tackle a full feature in
Postorius?   There's going to be less competition from other students
for the more complex projects and way more motivation on our part to get
them completed, so it actually improves your chances of being selected
as a student if you get yourself ready to handle one of those.

  Terri