[Mailman-Developers] Architecture for extra profile info

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Apr 27 16:15:52 CEST 2013

Richard Wackerbarth writes:

 > It is not necessary to have more than a flat collection of lists.

I don't know how it will be represented, but we *do* need to support
virtual hosting, where the mailman administrator delegates site
administration to the owner of the virtual host.

 > In fact, that approach has the advantage that each list can be
 > allowed to have individual configuration parameters. At the
 > present, he has attached the "base web URL" to the
 > email_domain. Instead, I would like to have the ability to set that
 > on a per-list basis.

I think that's reasonable.

 > Rather than defining a specific structure, I would substitute a
 > more generic structure defining collections of lists. This tree
 > could be configured to represent any organizational hierarchy that
 > the installation desires.

Such flexibility has benefits and costs.  How many of our users will
need/want this flexibility?  (Genuine question.  I personally don't
want it, so it's hard for me to estimate.)