[Mailman-Developers] Architecture for extra profile info

Richard Wackerbarth rkw at dataplex.net
Sat Apr 27 14:02:10 CEST 2013

On Apr 26, 2013, at 11:32 PM, Richard Wackerbarth <rkw at dataplex.net> wrote:

> Additionally, I would generalize the grouping of lists into a hierarchical tree that represents the enterprise organization rather than aspects of the internet namespace.

Stephen,

Barry has introduced a small amount of hierarchy into the grouping of lists. (E.g. The domain)
Within that hierarchy, he at least alludes to the delegation of authority to list owners.

It is not necessary to have more than a flat collection of lists. In fact, that approach has the advantage that each list can be allowed to have individual configuration parameters. At the present, he has attached the "base web URL" to the email_domain. Instead, I would like to have the ability to set that on a per-list basis. There is no structural constraint that requires lists to share  such common values, but I do acknowledge that it is expedient for the system to be able to generate the list specific value by some algorithm that is applied to a class of lists.

Rather than defining a specific structure, I would substitute a more generic structure defining collections of lists. This tree could be configured to represent any organizational hierarchy that the installation desires. Various persons could then be granted administrative rights over particular subtrees. Algorithmic constraints can be assigned to a collection insuring that each list therein complies with the enterprise schema.