[Mailman-Developers] Architecture for extra profile info

Florian Fuchs flo.fuchs at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 23:33:42 CEST 2013

2013/4/18 Richard Wackerbarth <rkw at dataplex.net>:
> Yes, yes. Please re-invent the wheel once again.
>
> And while you are at it, you might just remove the dependancies on zope and storm, etc.
>
> I think that you are missing the point that, at this time, this is intended to provide the capabilities that MM-core chooses not to implement.
> Those website components (HK and Postorius) are being driven by Django and you only make it more difficult to implement them when choose a different schema to model/present the data.

I don't want to re-invent the wheel and I don't advocate dismissing
Django. Django is probably perfect for the prototype. It might also be
perfect for the final thing. But we don't know what database we're
gonna use in the end (which determines if the Django ORM still fits),
or if we'll use many HTML templates etc. If we end up not using many
of the things that make Django great, we might wanna think about if we
want to use it. And might still come to the conclusion that we do. All
I'm saying is: The environment for such an app could be a little
different to Postorius/HK, so let's spend some thought on it. Is this
such a bad idea?

Florian