[Mailman-Developers] Architecture for extra profile info

Florian Fuchs flo.fuchs at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 21:29:56 CEST 2013

2013/4/18 Richard Wackerbarth <richard at nfsnet.org>:
> On Apr 18, 2013, at 1:19 AM, Florian Fuchs <flo.fuchs at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 3) It doesn't need Django.
>> Since it will not deliver any HTML (except an oAuth login form -- see
>> 5.) and it doesn't need to be integrated into any existing web site,
>> we can choose a more light-weight framework.
>
> Here I take exception. Dismissing Django is a restriction that unnecessarily affects the ease of implementation and, in the common case, complicates the integration of the functionality.
>
> Although it could be implemented without Django, it could also be implemented as a Django "app".
> An instance of a django server can then serve the functionality.  As an alternative, where appropriate, this "app" would directly "drop in" to an instance of Postorius or an enterprise website.
>
> One of the advantages of Django is that it can be used as a rapid prototyping mechanism. Simplified interfaces to the data are "free" and more elaborate ones can be added in an incremental fashion.
> Also, rather than writing custom modules for things such as authentication and REST interfaces, there is the large community of third-party extensions which readily integrate to provide that functionality.

It's not that I don't want to use Django. I just wanted to point out
that we won't need much of it for a pure JSON API. OTOH adding a new
dependency by using another framework is probably not a good idea
either. So if we want to keep the number of dependencies low, the
alternative would probably be to use no framework at all and use
restish for the, well, REST stuff (or whatever library the core will
be using in the future).

Florian

> I would advocate that this "User" module make it appear as if stores the entire "record" for the user.
> In the implementation, it could actually store parts of the user information in multiple databases (one of which could be the MM-core).

+1