[Mailman-Developers] Architecture for extra profile info

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Thu Apr 18 02:21:17 CEST 2013

Background for folk new to this discussion:

Currently, all user information is stored in Mailman core, but it's
minimal: a real name, a set of email addresses, subscription info, and
preferences.  Barry suggests that it should stay minimal: only the
things Mailman needs to know to correctly deliver mail (which actually
doesn't include "real name" but let's leave that as a legacy item for
the moment)

It's pretty likely that future features of Mailman will want to attach
extra information to users.  Some of it will be social-y stuff like user
icons for HyperKitty to display in the archives. Other things include
metrics like "when did this person last post to the list?" or "how many
posts have they made over the lifetime of this list?"  One thing I know
of is that Systers requires a short essay for all new subscribers,
explaining why they want to join the list.   (And they're considering
porting this feature to Postorius, which means we potentially want an
answer to "where will the extra profile data get stored?" before their
students start coding.)

So...

I think we've sort of agreed that it would be best if whatever we built
just had a rest interface and hyperkitty/postorius/whatever would talk
to it through there, and could share data that way, but we need a simple
prototype that folk (particularly students) will be able to start using,
and there's still some internal architecture decisions that need to be
made.

Does anyone have time to build such a thing or write up some short
architectural documents so a student could build such a thing in
relatively short order?  It doesn't have to be the perfect final design,
but we probably need a basic starter api for adding, accessing, editing
and possibly even removing profile data.

Thoughts?

  Terri