[Mailman-Developers] GSOC 2013 project discussion

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Wed Apr 17 21:09:13 CEST 2013

On Apr 17, 2013, at 12:43 AM, Avik Pal wrote:

>also I would like to propose an idea of my own. Many of us set the preference
>in mailman to get all the emails of a day batched together, but sometimes
>this means we miss important mails(though we get it at the end of the day but
>we miss the moment)----important to the community, or my own interest,
>discussion on something I also have discussed upon in my previous mails,
>delivery of these mails instantly to the subscriber so that he can also join
>at that very moment may come out to be a very useful feature.

I'm skeptical that you'll be able to do automated classification of important
messages for individual users.  I'm not even sure I can do that as a human
reading a particular mailing list.  Also, what's important to me today may or
may not be important to me tomorrow, and vice versa.

Mailman has a (probably little known) feature where a list owner can send an
urgent message that bypasses digests.  If it has an Urgent: header with a
matching password, it goes straight through.

-Barry