[Mailman-Developers] Wiki Migration Update

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun Apr 14 23:51:52 CEST 2013

Hello,

It's been about a month or so since my last update, so here's a quick summary
of the work done since that time on the content migration from Confluence to
MoinMoin.

First of all, I've uploaded a newer version of the content here:

http://mmwiki.boddie.org.uk/

Not only has the conversion itself been improved, but the underlying
Confluence content has also been updated, so it should reflect the existing
Wiki (at http://wiki.list.org/) a bit more accurately. I also fought with
mod_rewrite to at least make most pages accessible, particularly the
FAQ-related pages which contain question marks in their titles (and with
which mod_rewrite has an as-yet-unfixed problem).

A lot of the recent work has gone into fixing the XHTML-based markup used by
Confluence since version 4. In particular, links, lists, tables and
preformatted regions have seen quite a bit of attention, and various pages
should now look better due to this. For example:

http://mmwiki.boddie.org.uk/DOC/Mailman_2.1_Members_Manual

(Note that the above page has some fairly strange nested lists at the end
where the bulletpoints have been added manually as "o" characters after
newlines, and this is not an artifact of my conversion, but the markup is
handled sufficiently well to retain the desired visual effect.)

Some things that were mentioned as problem areas have been improved:

http://mmwiki.boddie.org.uk/DEV/A_5_Minute_Guide_to_Get_the_Mailman_Web_UI_Running_%28only_for_development%29
(This now has properly preformatted regions, although I aim to improve the
handling of single-line regions still further.)

http://mmwiki.boddie.org.uk/COM/donate_to_the_GNU_Mailman_project
(This now has a fixed link, although the Confluence markup version still needs
improving to work correctly.)

http://mmwiki.boddie.org.uk/DOC/Frequently_Asked_Questions
(The links to questions now have tidier labels, and my mod_rewrite hacks mean
that you can follow them on the hosted site.)

A few things haven't yet been done since the last update that were worth
mentioning before:

http://mmwiki.boddie.org.uk/COM/Organizations_that_use_Mailman
(I still need to make sure that the anchors are generated for the headings.)

Author information is still not preserved in the page import process, but this
will be tested in future.

I want to start implementing macro support and to tidy up the way comments are
presented on pages. It might also be nice to have a list of attachments on
pages that have them, and I will take a look to see how Confluence tends to
present such things.

As I have mentioned previously, the source code for the converter can be found
here:

http://hgweb.boddie.org.uk/ConfluenceConverter/

Please take a look at your favourite pages and let me know where improvements
can be made to the conversion process.

Paul