[Mailman-Developers] GSOC Introduction and Bugfix Question

Patrick Collins pscollins at uchicago.edu
Sun Apr 14 10:52:49 CEST 2013

Hello,

My name is Patrick Collins and I'm a second year computer science major, interested in applying to GSOC via Mailman. I was thinking of taking on the following projects:

1) Boilerplate stripper
2) Log monitor

I imagine that (1) would be pretty easy to implement and take no more than a week. (2) is more complex, but offers extensibility: I could aim to implement a log monitor that, at the bare minimum, warns the admins in case of trouble, and then go on to extend it with some visualizations like graphs that track subscribers/country, posts/subscriber, and so on. This would give admins the added benefit of being able to clearly see trends in the logs that indicate issues.

Would this be be complex enough to merit a GSOC project?

Additionally, I wanted to implement a simple bug fix in order to get familiar with the Launchpad system. https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/558274 seems to be a pretty quick one. Should I write tests to accompany my changes to the code, or just perform them on my own machine? Should there be some documentation of testing submitted?

--

Patrick Collins
University of Chicago '15