[Mailman-Developers] GSOC 2013 - Introduction and Project Discussion

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Tue Apr 9 02:42:12 CEST 2013

On 13-04-08 5:27 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Pierre-Yves Chibon writes:
>   > On Sat, 2013-04-06 at 15:03 +0530, Udit Saxena wrote:
>   > > 2. Web Posting Interface.
>   >
>   > Isn't this similar/overlapping to what HyperKitty already does?
>
> No.  There's no reason why a web posting interface needs to interact
> with the archives; it can talk directly to Mailman core, and will need
> to do so for other features such as authentication, sister lists, and
> the like.  You get archiving for free.

I think Stephen covered most of it, but I just want to add that I had in
mind that if we do the separate posting interface right, we might be
able to use this as the beginnings of a way to integrate any existing
forum software into Mailman, much like we want to gateway from newsgroups.

That said...

I'm totally ok with this particular project being entirely part of
hyperkitty in the short-term, though, since it'll clearly be a nice fit
there right now and goodness knows I don't want to deal with yet another
django-standalone instance running just to post messages. ;)   The only
reason I didn't suggest this be part of hyperkitty in the project
description is that when I was writing up project information, I didn't
know if any of the hyperkitty team would have time to mentor.  If one of
the hyperkitty devs wants to take the lead on mentoring this project,
that would work for me!

  Terri