[Mailman-Developers] GSOC 2013 - Introduction and Project Discussion

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Apr 9 01:27:43 CEST 2013

Pierre-Yves Chibon writes:
 > On Sat, 2013-04-06 at 15:03 +0530, Udit Saxena wrote:
 > > 2. Web Posting Interface.
 >
 > Isn't this similar/overlapping to what HyperKitty already does?

No.  There's no reason why a web posting interface needs to interact
with the archives; it can talk directly to Mailman core, and will need
to do so for other features such as authentication, sister lists, and
the like.  You get archiving for free.

 > I don't think one would want to embed posting messages from the admin
 > interface of mailman (postorious), so posting from an interface would
 > have to deal with archives as well (since one might want to reply to an
 > existing thread).

It could be as simple as embedding a button with an appropriate URL
communicating the information needed to compose a message in the
archive display interface.  On the other hand, the posting interface
to the archives could be a full separate subsystem, with a special-
purpose browsing system oriented to rapidly selecting and yanking
content from related messages.

It might make sense to embed the interface in HyperKitty, which also
has to deal with authentication, at least.  But since posting and
browsing are separate features I tend to favor creating an appropriate
protocol for web posting, independent of the archive protocol and
implementation.