[Mailman-Developers] Adding keys in the configuration file

Aurélien Bompard aurelien at bompard.org
Thu Sep 13 23:42:02 CEST 2012

This is very interesting, thanks a lot for your suggestions.

> If the base url is static, perhaps with some placeholders for list-specific
> information, then the same approach used for mhonarc could be used for
> hyperkitty.

That would work nicely for list_url() and permalink() indeed, even if it
means that the URL mappings must be kept in sync.
However, I need other pieces of information from the settings.py file,
for example the store's database URL.

> You could do it this way, but it would require HyperKitty to be colocated on
> the same machine as the core, and that its settings.py file be importable by
> the core.
> Better IMHO would be for the core to issue an HTTP/REST+JSON style GET call on
> some configurable URL to ask the Django server for the information.  Then
> HyperKitty could reside anywhere.

True, but I still need to send the message to the store somehow.
However, this method allows a decoupling between the web archive
configuration and the storage action, which is interesting.

> OTOH, if you wanted to propose a patch/branch to MM3, then I'd probably
> suggest a more general approach of adding a `configure` variable to
> [archiver.master] and giving this semantics similar to [passwords]path as
> described previously.
> This [archiver.*]configure would name the path to a ini style file that
> doesn't have the lazr.config schema limitation.  Then inside there, you could
> add anything that HyperKitty would need.
> This would be nice because we could probably even remove recipient and command
> from the general [archiver.master] section, and move them to the specific
> mail-archive.com and mhonarc .ini files (which would have to be added, but
> that's easy).

This looks like an excellent solution to me, I'll go ahead and do that.
Afterwards I'll look into making it possible to have HK on a separate
host (and maybe only keep the storing library with Mailman).

Thanks a lot for your ideas !

Aurélien
http://aurelien.bompard.org    ~~~~~~    jabber: aurelien at bompard.org
This mail is displayed with recycled electrons