[Mailman-Developers] add_members and nomail

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Oct 23 20:06:33 CEST 2012

Scot Hacker wrote:

>On Oct 22, 2012, at 7:15 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:
>
>> Also, If the member to be added is already a member, I wouldn't change
>> its delivery option.
>>

>Hmm, not sure about that part - my implementation sometimes includes duplicate addresses, relying on the mailman import to weed them out. So I would *prefer* to have the option changed for existing members. But if that doesn't sit well with you, I understand - my script will just have to be smarter about it.

I don't see this as a problem. If you try to add the same address twice
with a --nomail option, the first add will succeed and set nomail and
the second add will fail and do nothing, but the result is the address
is added with nomail set.

The only situation in which this makes a difference is if the address
is already a member without nomail, which would only occur if it was
added previously by some other process or if it was added previously
and the user subsequently enabled delivery. Either way, I think the
right thing is for add_members --nomail to not disable delivery for an
existing member.

Note, if you want to just set some or all users to nomail, see
<http://www.msapiro.net/scripts/set_nomail.py>.