[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 3 configuration questions and feedback

Jeff Marshall marshman at gmail.com
Tue May 22 19:49:33 CEST 2012

Hey everybody.  I've been playing with 3.0.0b1 and Postorius.  I have
some questions as well as some initial feedback.  I am assuming many
of these are known issues or works-in-progress so I apologize ahead of
time.

* How do I add another person as an administrator to either a single
list or to my full mailman installation?  I don't see this in either
Postorius or the command line tools.

* How do I enabling public archiving?  I see the archive mentions in
the config files but I'm not finding it clear how to flip it on.

* The BrowserID system on Postorius logs me out all the time, even
after just a few page views.  I'm constantly having to hit the sign-in
button again.  If I am trying to perform an administrative function I
have to do it very quickly after signing in or else I'm logged out
again.  (Mac OS X, Chrome).

* The Held Messages page on Postorius only shows me the subject line
of the messages.  It seems like the body of the message will also be
important for reviewing the held message.

* I get an error dump whenever I accept a held message on Postorius.
The message goes through, though.

    Exception Type: AttributeError
    Exception Value:
    'module' object has no attribute 'successful'
    Exception Location:
/home/marshman/mailman/postorius/src/postorius/views.py in
accept_held_message, line 405

* Postorius doesn't seem to have confirmation messages after changing
a setting or adding a subscriber.  It leaves me uncertain whether my
change or subscriber addition went through.

* Postorius could use a page showing the list members.

* Is there a plan for exposing some list traffic stats on the Mailman
API and on Postorius?  It would be handy to see # of messages received
today, etc, especially at this stage when I'm trying to figure out
what is working or not.

* It might be handy in the Postorius docs to mention how to run a
Django server on a public url; I hadn't used Django before so I was
spinning my wheels for a bit until I dug this up:

    $ python manage.py runserver 0.0.0.0:8000

* While attempting to build the docs I get this:

    $ python setup.py build_sphinx
      File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sphinx/config.py",
line 216, in __init__
        exec code in config
      File "/home/marshman/mailman/mailman-3.0.0b1/conf.py", line 54,
in <module>
        from mailman.version import VERSION
    ImportError: No module named version

I'm happy to file tickets on Launchpad but I didn't want to do so
until I understood what is already in progress.

Thanks

Jeff
The Mail Archive