[Mailman-Developers] [GSoC 2012] Metrics

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Sat May 19 18:59:44 CEST 2012

On May 19, 2012, at 08:18 AM, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:

>I think that we should remove ALL of the author information from the MM core
>and create a separate service to collect and manage it. The mail handling
>core can subscribe to this service for the little necessary information that
>it requires about the "persons".

This should be possible with today's Mailman 3, though it might not be obvious
(and certainly isn't tested ;).  To do this, you'd implement the IUserManager
interface with whatever external-service-consulting implementation you'd like
to come up with.  Then you'd associate that component implementation with the
utility via the zope.configuration file.

Once you've done this, Mailman will always get its users and addresses from
the your separate service.  Come to think of it though, you probably also need
to re-implement the various IRoster implementations as well.

It might take some fiddling and experimentation, but the architecture intends
to make this kind of thing possible.

Cheers,