[Mailman-Developers] RELEASED: GNU Mailman 3.0 beta 1 and Postorius 1.0 alpha 1

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Mar 28 19:03:36 CEST 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 1:40 AM, Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, I am lost as to why the argument to this procedure was named
> "syncdb" and not "createdb", which is what it's doing. Can you explain that
> please? Sorry, I am a noob in this.

It's called "syncdb" because it synchronizes the actual data store
with the schema, by creating and updating tables and indexes as
necessary.  Creating a database is a special case of syncing where the
database is completely empty.  However, the schema in Django is
dynamic; it will automatically add tables and indexes when the Django
application is changed.

You don't need to know about this unless you plan to dig in and
develop the Django application that provides the administration
interface.