[Mailman-Developers] RELEASED: GNU Mailman 3.0 beta 1 andPostorius 1.0 alpha 1

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Mar 28 06:54:14 CEST 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Jeff Breidenbach <jeff at jab.org> wrote:

>> archivers are configured site-wide, so there's almost nothing
>> to expose in the web-ui.
>
> I'm worried about confusion.

Indeed.  I think Barry misspoke here.  But remember, we're barely out
of alpha test, and we don't actually have a standard archiver, just a
simple handler to support further development.

> The last thing we want is for a list to be
> accidentally archived contrary to the list administrator's wish. It sounds
> scary to me not to have any indication whatsoever in the web
> interface.

However, this is unavoidable, since in an open-subscription or
confirm-only list anybody can request Gmane or mail-archive.com to
subscribe, and of course users will save their mail in many cases.

I think it's arguable that it's best to archive everything (eg, so you
can demonstrate that a particular piece of spam did or did not come
through your list), and lock it down at the archive-viewer level.

> Along similar lines, there seems opportunity for confusion if there are
> two independent mechanisms for archival; site wide configuration and
> also manually subscribing an archival subscriber

Personally, I think only the latter should be provided by default
since it can't easily be prevented unless the list owner vets all
subscribers very carefully (including having access to their
.forwards!)  Of course individual sites or lists can provide their own
archiving handlers, and for the purpose of developing archivers and
archive browsers offline, it may be useful to have a simple
archive-to-maildir handler.  (Note that the usual MTA/MDA suites can
be used to deliver to maildirs, so for a list that's actually online,
to get a local archive you just set up a $LIST-archiver virtual user
delivering to maildir.  AFAICS, this will be sufficiently efficient.)