[Mailman-Developers] RELEASED: GNU Mailman 3.0 beta 1 andPostorius 1.0 alpha 1

Jeff Breidenbach jeff at jab.org
Wed Mar 28 02:20:18 CEST 2012

What is the incantation for enabling an external archiving service?
Currently I only see this in mailman.cfg after following 5 minute guide.

[runner.archive]
class: mailman.runners.archive.ArchiveRunner

> archivers are configured site-wide, so there's almost nothing
> to expose in the web-ui.

I'm worried about confusion. The last thing we want is for a list to be
accidentally archived contrary to the list administrator's wish. It sounds
scary to me not to have any indication whatsoever in the web
interface.

Along similar lines, there seems opportunity for confusion if there are
two independent mechanisms for archival; site wide configuration and
also manually subscribing an archival subscriber such as
archive at mail-archive.com. I can imagine someone turning off just
one of these two mechanisms then being surprised that it had
no practical effect.

Finally, it sounds like there are architectural reasons for having
archiving a site-wide configuration. But I do think list admins would
appreciate some sort per list GUI option, to easily distinguish
between public and private lists. These are often different folks
from the sysadmin who can apt-get install mailman without
giving a first glance at the mailman.cfg file.

-Jeff