[Mailman-Developers] Killing off Pipermail and the effects on scrubbing in Mailman 3

Andrea Crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 12:01:31 CET 2012

On 03/19/2012 09:14 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> On 3/19/2012 4:25 AM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>> There are lots of options here.  As mentioned, virtualbox should be
>> a good option, and you can probably use something like wubi to
>> create an Ubuntu desktop running along side Windows.
>
> Thanks to all for the advice. I have some learning to do.
>
> I actually have VirtualBox installed and for the sprint I had a
> Vagrant VM set up running the basic
> http://files.vagrantup.com/lucid32.box. I had set up a virtualenv on
> this box with Sphinx installed for the Sphinx tutorial at PyCon, and
> this worked really well.
>
> When I got to the Mailman sprint, I tried to install MM 3 on this
> Vagrant VM, and I ran into some error with buildout trying to compile
> some package and failing with a missing Python.h file.
>
> I ran 'sudo apt-get install python-dev' on the VM which I thought
> would fix it, and the install seemed to run OK, but I still had no
> Python.h.
>
> At that point, I gave up and went to a virtualenv on my production server.
>
> At this point, I don't know whether the best approach is look for a
> more complete development box for Vagrant or figure out how to
> provision the basic Vagrant box with what I need or forget Vagrant and
> install directly in VirtualBox or go with a dual-boot.
>
> Anyway, it's going to be interesting to figure this out.

Since I was curious to see I created a vagrant VM with lucid and I only
needed to install the following:

    To install (Lucid32):
    - python
    - python-dev
    - bzr
    - python-setuptools
    - gcc

To make everything work and be able to run buildout and bin/test in
mailman bzr version.
So now I was thinking to transform this manual steps in a Vagrantfile,
and we could use this
to ship for people that want to try, other things to do:

    Optional packages:
    - Gnome / XFCE / Other
    - vim

    To check/set:
    - launchpad login, possibly passing the authentication and the SSH
      key somehow to the vagrant file
    - dimension of the VM to make sure it's not too small

PS. I get 6 failures running the tests though, as
File "/home/vagrant/mailman/src/mailman/model/docs/users.rst", line 172,
in users.rst
Failed example:
     user_2.preferred_address = anne
Differences (ndiff with -expected +actual):
       Traceback (most recent call last):
     - ...
     - UnverifiedAddressError: Anne Person <anne at example.com>
     +   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/doctest.py", line 1248, in __run
     +     compileflags, 1) in test.globs
     +   File "<doctest users.rst[41]>", line 1, in <module>
     +     user_2.preferred_address = anne
     +   File "/home/vagrant/mailman/src/mailman/model/user.py", line
112, in preferred_address
     +     raise UnverifiedAddressError(address)
     + UnverifiedAddressError: <unprintable UnverifiedAddressError object>