[Mailman-Developers] Login / User Identification Issues in MM3

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Fri Jul 13 20:43:34 CEST 2012

On Jul 13, 2012, at 12:03 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>Barry Warsaw writes:
>
> > The question is whether we want to support running the core without
> > having this user service available, i.e. in standalone mode.  Are
> > we going to require that this service be running in order to run
> > the core?  I think we shouldn't be so strict.
>
>But *some* user service needs to be available.

Agreed, but my question is whether the limited user manager service that the
core currently provides is enough for standalone deployments where all the
fancy stuff about Facebook ids and reputations doesn't matter.  I have no
problem with providing a more limited set of functionality in that case
(i.e. "just the messages, ma'am"[*]).

Cheers,
-Barry

[*] w/apologies to Jack Webb/Joe Friday, who never actually uttered that
paraphrase exactly.  http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/dragnet.asp