[Mailman-Developers] URGENT: Google Summer of Code status report and code due

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Thu Jul 5 12:37:15 CEST 2012

On 5 Jul 2012, at 01:24, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Eg, this list would be "mailman.org.python.mailman-developers".  I
> know that's considered ugly-out-the-wazoo, but these need to be UUIDs
> (consider mirrors), and mailman at python.org should not be in the same
> subtree as mailman at python.net (ie,
>
>    mailman.net.python.mailman    vs  mailman.org.python.mailman
>
> not
>
>    mailman.python.net.mailman    vs  mailman.python.org.mailman
>
> The top-level maybe shouldn't be "mailman", but rather something like
> "list-archive".
>
> Another issue with newsgroup names is that some lists *are* registered
> in the news hierarchy, so provision for such aliases should be allowed.
>
> Let the bikeshed-painting begin!

OK. Where do these two email addresses sit?

foo at bar.example.com
foo.bar at example.com

They're distinct addresses, but they clash in this naming scheme because of the collapse of (@,.) to (.).

If '@' can't be mapped to itself, or another unused character, then it needs to be mapped to a rarely used string, or it needs to be mapped to a configurable string. I suppose the default could be '.' if the string were configurable.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex