[Mailman-Developers] Mailman gone social ?

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Tue Jan 10 10:00:49 CET 2012

On Jan 07, 2012, at 03:25 PM, Marc Manthey (macbroadcast ) wrote:

>Most of us are subscribted to several mailinglists, forums , irc andusing
>socialmedia sites like facebook and/ or twitter.

I've long thought that there are enough overlaps with mailing lists, archives,
and forums and I think that there are some interesting things we could do
here.  In my mind the difference is based on the depth of the emotional
connection you have to the community.  For example, with python-dev I have a
deep and long-term connection to it, so I'm happy to subscribe and get my
inbox filled with messages from it.  But for something like dbus, I care
deeply but only for a short amount of time.  I.e. when I'm working in that
area, I need to interact with that community, but then I'm out.  The overhead
of subscribing and unsubscribing is too much.  Gmane helps a lot here, as does
some of the techniques we implemented in Mailman's integration in Launchpad,
and I'm keeping this in mind during MM3 development.

Certainly, MM3 has the APIs that should make it fairly easy to integrate these
types of media in both directions, so I encourage folks to explore these
ideas.

Cheers,