[Mailman-Developers] Probe messages should not sent Precedenceheader

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Feb 18 18:22:53 CET 2012

Aamir Khan wrote:

>I guess in MM3, there is no function as sendNextNotification(), because i
>used command, "grep sendNextNotification() -r *" and the result was only
>file 'src/mailman/bin/disabled.py'.

Which means that bin/disabled.py won't work because it hasn't been
fully converted from 2.1 yet. It should be using the send_probe()
function instead of sendNextNotification().

>There is a file 'src/mailman/email/messages.py', in which
>UserNotification() class is defined. It has a send function, which sets the
>precedence header.
>
>In file 'src/mailman/app/bouces.py', I guess the probe messages are sent
>directly using send() function of UserNotification() class. I think that
>from line 211 to 228, probe message is used to send VERP probe. But then, i
>am not able to find out the place from where probe message is sent after
>disabling of the address because of over bouncing.

There should be two places. bin/disabled.py should be calling
send_probe() instead of the non-existent sendNextNotification() list
method.

Also, send_probe() should be called when delivery is initially disabled
as a result of a call to IBounceProcessor(), but I am unable to follow
how this works or even if it is implemented yet at least in part
because I haven't yet learned anything about how things like
zope.component.getUtility() work.

>I have tried to make some changes to code and pushed it to my local branch
>[1]. Ran through all the tests, and none of them failed. Is there any way
>to run through a subset of test rather than running them using 'bin/test'
>command.
>
>Comments, feedback required on patch.
>

>[1] =>
>http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~syst3mw0rm/mailman/precedence/revision/7080

The patch itself looks good except for style. We normally don't put
whitespace around the = in keyword=value arguments in definitions and
calls. PEP 8 <http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/> says "Don't
use spaces around the '=' sign when used to indicate a keyword
argument or a default parameter value."