[Mailman-Developers] Implementing the IArchiver

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Thu Aug 16 03:32:31 CEST 2012

Hi George.  Sorry I was on vacation and mostly off-line.

On Aug 06, 2012, at 08:28 PM, George Chatzisofroniou wrote:

>I was wondering what is the best way to test an IArchive
>implementation. Are there any built in test modes that will allow me
>to send sample messages? I only care about the processing of the
>messages through my IArchive implementation rather than actually
>sending them out.

There is an existing test in src/mailman/archiving/tests/test_prototype.py
which tests the prototype archiver.  It probably does way more than you need
though, since it interfaces with the file system.  But it should give you a
fairly decent idea of how to set up a test for an IArchiver implementation.

A few important things to notice.  You'll need to set a layer in the test
class.  ConfigLayer ensures that the entire ZCA and configuration subsystem is
initialized before the test is run; you'll need at least that.

If you do want to send out a sample message, you can use SMTPLayer, which sets
up a fake SMTP server and ensures that any email you send through Mailman's
delivery system will get delivered to this fake server.  Your test can then
check that the message arrived and has the contents you expect.  If you grep
for SMTPLayer, you should find useful examples of that.

See src/mailman/testing/layers.py for the set of existing layers.  Their use
is a bit funky because of the weird zope.testing semantics (something I want
to get rid of eventually).  In particular, normal inheritance rules don't
apply, which is why you never see upcalls to super().  But that may be detail
you don't care about.

I hope that helps.  I'm back from vacation now and happy to answer anything
else if I can.

Cheers,
-Barry