[Mailman-Developers] Google Summer of Code: Integration of Search Code

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Tue Apr 3 00:37:04 CEST 2012

On 03/29/2012 11:58 PM, Shayan Md wrote:
> Okay then, can you please tell me how we can put this search code in best
> use of mailman3? I have a proposal to write, I am getting unsure of things
> day by day. Can you also tell me who is the mentor of this project?

When it comes to writing your proposal, I'd be most impressed if you
looked at search in terms of how it's going to be used.  Take a look at
some of the work generated by previous years students on search use cases:

http://systers.org/systers-dev/doku.php/usecases-priya:start
http://systers.org/systers-dev/doku.php/mailman_archives_ui_-_yian_shang

These were generated from surveys of mailman users worldwide, so they
probably show a reasonable picture of expected behaviour.  Figure out
what sort of data structures an indexes you need to support these use
cases and work from there.  Don't worry if it's not perfect; your best
guess is fine for an initial application and we'll ask for clarification
as necessary.

Please also remember to give a reasonably detailed timeline for what you
plan to do (e.g. weekly milestones) and how you will integrate code on a
weekly or biweekly basis. That helps us a lot when evaluating your proposal!

As for who will be mentoring search-related projects... we haven't
decided.  I was planning to just let the mentors fight for the best
students once we have all the applications in. ;)  More seriously,
though, search touches on interests and expertise for pretty much all of
our mentors, so the primary mentor for a search project will depend on
what other applications we get.

  Terri