[Mailman-Developers] [Mailman GSoC] Archive UI Web Framework

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Fri Jun 24 14:51:34 CEST 2011

On Jun 22, 2011, at 11:40 PM, Dushyant Bansal wrote:

>I was looking for a web framework for Pipermail UI. I have decided to use
>Pylons.  Anna and benste wanted to know the reasons for choosing pylons over
>Django (As benste is already using Django for mailman WebUI). So, I thought I
>should discuss it with all of you.
>
>Andrew is working on converting Pipermail to use Storm/SQLite instead of
>pickles to save data. So, the framework needs to have support for Storm
>ORM. Django has its own ORM and Storm cannot be used with it natively (Though
>storm is said to have support
><http://blogs.gnome.org/jamesh/2008/09/19/django-support-landed-in-storm/>
>for django, I could not find anything further to try/test Storm with Django).
>Pylons doesn't provide any ORM and I have tested a small application using
>Storm.

I don't have much personal experience with Pylons, but I've heard good things
about it.

As long as Pipermail is still in the core, I do think it makes sense to
continue the work to port it to Storm, since that's the ORM that the core
uses.  We've talked about splitting Pipermail off into a separate sibling
project (much like the new UI is currently), and if we do that, I'd be open to
re-evaluating the choice of Storm for Pipermail.

I don't want to throw a monkey wrench into Andrew's work of course, just
saying that if there was compelling reasons to want Django and its ORM for
Pipermail, the way to do it would be to split off Pipermail first.

OTOH, I'm perfectly fine with the current direction you and Andrew are taking
with the GSoC projects.

Cheers,
-Barry