[Mailman-Developers] Mailman web user interface kick-off

Florian Fuchs f at state-of-mind.de
Sun Jan 24 13:33:28 CET 2010

Hi there,

I'm Florian, a web developer from Berlin. I have been subscribed to the mailing list for a year now, but haven't posted anything so far. So first things first: Hi to you all!

I was, however, present at last year's Pycon MM-sprint (and will be this year), so here's what I recall, along with some thoughts:

I guess the framework would be one of the first things to decide about. At last year's sprint, we talked about using Pylons and genshi as a template engine. On the other hand: Pylons' standard template engine, Mako, seems to be a lot faster while having a similar set of features (i18n, ...). Being relatively new to Python I personally don't have a preferred framework (Pylons seemed fine, though...). But I am a fan of the MVC pattern because of the separation of logic and layout. So using something like Pylons or Django seems like a good idea to me.

On the Javascript side, I would recommend jQuery because of its performance, small size, tons of plugins and general awesomeness.

Best,
Florian Fuchs