[Mailman-Developers] Mailman web user interface kick-off

John Fitzsimons johnf at net2000.com.au
Sun Jan 24 05:56:10 CET 2010

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 19:33:24 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>On 11:59 AM, John Fitzsimons wrote:

< snip >

>> Sounds good. Is this instead of the news server integration ? Being
>> done prior to that ? Or are they being developed concurrently ?

>> Is this meant to be a Mailman "alternative" to CPanel ? Or are you
>> thinking of adding such things as posting to an email list via a
>> Mailman web page ? In other words an (optional ?) Mailman
>> created web forum.

< snip >

>And no, this is independent of any possible NNTP support and is probably
>happening first

Okay, though I expect that if a news server option were offered it
might include a "common" database for email/news/web posts.

> (although in open source, you never know what might
>happen), and no it is not a "Mailman "alternative" to CPanel" whatever
>that might be.

As a windows user the CPanel interface is all that I am familiar with.

>It is a redesign of the existing MM 2.1 web interface

Okay, I haven't seen that.

>(most of which is virtually unchanged by cPanel). I.e. all of the
>existing list admin, admindb, options, etc. web interface that you see
>in your cPanel installation is virtually unchanged from standard Mailman
>2.1. This is a redesign of that interface for MM 3.

Sounds good. Particularly if one has a "Delete (or hide ?) archive"
option.  :-)

>The ability to post from a web page could be part of this if there is
>enough interest.

Though I don't like web forums many people do. I am sure that a lot
of people would like a web forum interface if it were offered as an
"option".

For many people "Web Mail" is a handy way to check what is in their
"home" mailbox when on the road, or at work.

The current web access to Mailman archives is very close already to a
web forum IMO. All that needs to be added is a "reply" button and a
"new post" button.

IF that page were offered, as a html page that administrators could
alter, it would enable them to make things "prettier".

Regards, John.