[Mailman-Developers] Reply-To munging considered *carefully*

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Thu Jan 7 14:02:18 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 03:56:50PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Earl Ruby writes:
>
>  > I've read back through this thread, and forgive me if this has been
>  > discussed before, but have you considered giving subscribers the
>  > option of deciding for themselves whether their replies should go to
>  > the list or to the poster?
>
> No, I hadn't considered it, and upon consideration I would add it to
> the RFC only with a gun to my head (or equivalents such as demands
> from multiple list management software developers).
>
> The functionality you propose is *already available* to posters by
> setting Reply-To, and that method should be encouraged for posters who
> care because the poster already has the *per-message* knowledge of
> what is appropriate.

+1.

Or, indeed, setting (reply) hooks (or equivalents) in the
mail-directory for lists mails -- where clients support that -- if
people are so inclined.

(I remember making Thunderbird or Outlook do that when I used one, or
both of them, in $DAYJOB-x, so that sort of behaviour *is* possible.)

I'm of the view that if mail's good enough to go to the list, the
reply ought to go there, too, with the exception of annoucement-only
type lists.

--
``Government incompetence [is] one of the UK's
  most important safeguards against totalitarianism.''