[Mailman-Developers] Feature Request - Interactive HTML Digests

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Feb 20 16:53:53 CET 2010

Tanstaafl writes:

 > I think you misunderstand. I'm not talking about normal list
 > traffic.

Not as far as I can tell, and I'm talking about digests, too.

 > I'm talking about creating a special HTML formatted List Digest message
 > that MM3 would generate *itself*.

Exactly.  "Special HTML" and "lowest common denominator HTML" don't
mix.  (Yes, that's mere word play, but in this case the parallel
happens to work.)

 > So, again, the main question is if it could use just enough HTML
 > formatting to make the features I outlined work for the majority of
 > modern email clients,

My users expect to be able to view the messages in a digest as an
email folder.  That's the most important digest feature for them; they
do not want to have to page through messages they don't care about to
get to the ones they do care about, and they expect to use their
normal MUA commands, not HTML fragment addresses in links, to navigate.

Maybe yours don't, and if they don't, it could work.

 > I subscribe to most as individual messages only because interacting
 > with the list via a Digest message is very frustrating and requires
 > lots of copying and pasting, and still breaks threading etc because
 > of the missing headers.

Really?  I haven't had a problem like that for 15 years.  (But then,
I've exclusively used Emacs-based MUAs for 25 years, which might have
something to do with it.)

 > Cool... so, do I need to send a new email to make this Feature
 > Request official? ;)

I think you should post a bug report (weirdly enough) to the Mailman
project on Launchpad.net.  There's also a wiki page for Mailman 3 (I
forget the address exactly but it's linked from http://www.list.org/)
that you could update.  You don't have to do it yourself, but if that
doesn't get done by somebody, experience shows that the request tends
to get lost.