[Mailman-Developers] Feature Request - Interactive HTML Digests

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Sat Feb 20 13:09:28 CET 2010

On 2010-02-20 1:23 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Tanstaafl writes:
>
>> Most MUAs can render HTML email messages fine.

> That depends on your definitions of "HTML", "email messages", and
> "fine".
>
> All of them are pretty ambiguous, and different *senders* view them
> differently.

<snip>

I think you misunderstand. I'm not talking about normal list traffic.

I'm talking about creating a special HTML formatted List Digest message
that MM3 would generate *itself*.

Unless maybe you're talking about how to handle HTML list traffic in
such an HTML Digest message.

Personally, I usually set all of my lists to plain text anyway, so this
wouldn't be an issue for any lists I host/maintain, but yes, I guess I
can see how that might introduce another level of complexity to this
request, but maybe such messages could be encapsulated somehow, since
the features I'm talking about all have to do with interacting with the
*headers* of each message, not the body/content.

So, again, the main question is if it could use just enough HTML
formatting to make the features I outlined work for the majority of
modern email clients, while still maintaining readability for those that
may not be able to make use of the interactive features. If it can, then
I think this would be an awesome option for those of us who subscribe to
a whole bunch of email lists. I subscribe to most as individual messages
only because interacting with the list via a Digest message is very
frustrating and requires lots of copying and pasting, and still breaks
threading etc because of the missing headers.

>>> "Reply List" is not offerred for a reply to a message from the
>>> MIME digest, because there is no List-Post: header in the
>>> individual message parts

>> I'm curious why? If I had received the message individually, there
>> would have been, so why not include them in messages in the digest?

> That seems like a reasonable idea.  The only problem I can see is if
> there was a prexisting List-Post.  For example, many announce lists
> are subscribed to by a related discussion list.  In that case, the
> right thing to do is to remove the announce list's List-Post and
> substitute the discussion list's.  With an umbrella list (a list whose
> only members are other lists) it would be the other way around: you
> want the umbrella list's List-Post to remain.
>
> I suspect this probably could be handled by the existing configuration
> options in almost all cases.

Cool... so, do I need to send a new email to make this Feature Request
official? ;)

--

Charles