[Mailman-Developers] MM feature request - spread out the pain

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Apr 1 20:09:36 CEST 2010

skip at pobox.com wrote:

>Perhaps this is on the feature request list already, or better yet, Barry
>borrowed Guido's time machine when I wasn't looking, however...

As barry already noted, there will be no reminders in MM 3.

>I help administer a number of python.org mailing lists.  MM sends out
>subscription reminders on the first of each month.  This inevitably leads to
>a huge number of mail bounces many of which MM doesn't understand.

MM does not try to understand them because it can't handle them
automatically. See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/aICB>

>The
>python.org postmaster folk then get to go in and manually remove a ton of
>email addresses.  (Looks like about 100 this month.  I'm sure other sites
>have to handle many more such bounces.)  I don't know how to automate this.
>The best thing I can think of to do is to write an Emacs macro which copies
>a highlighted email address, pops over to a shell mode window ssh'd into
>mail.python.org and runs remove_members with the given address.  That's
>still more manual than I would like, but given the variability in bounce
>formats that seems about as good as I can do without expending a lot of
>effort.
>
>I realize that getting Mailman to grok more rejection notice formats is a
>worthwhile goal,

Mailman probably already can recognize almost all of these. The problem
is not in the recognition, it's in what to do about them. In addition
to the info in the above FAQ, there's lots of detail about this in
comments in Mailman/Queue/BounceRunner.py.