[Mailman-Developers] Mailman and Submission port

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Sun Nov 29 16:55:01 CET 2009

* Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org>:
> Patrick Ben Koetter writes:
>
>  > I'd like to propose a change in MM3s default SMTP client port from port 25
>  > (transport) to port 587 (submission).
>
> I don't see a real justification for such a change, given the
> authentication requirement.  While Mailman can be used in relatively
> closed setups, its central mission remains the more-or-less open
> discussion list as far as I can see.  Closed lists, announcement
> lists, and the like are very common, but I don't think they are the
> overwhelming majority of uses yet.  Until they are, changing the
> default is an annoyance to many.

The change I propose is not driven by considerations concerning pro or con
open/closed setups. Maybe you misunderstood me or I am misunderstanding your
reply.

To clarify: I don't want to require users to authenticate in order to allow
them to send. I want mailman to use a stanardized port for message submission
(and that brings in the authentication requirement).

Everybody seems to use a dedicated port to inject messages coming from
mailman. People do that either to completely avoid applying expensive content
filter rules to all messages coming from mailman or they do it to only run a
minimal subset of content filter rules.

I want to standardize that dedicated port and I propose to use the submission
port as recommended by RFC for scenarios like that. The authentication
requirement applies to the mailman server (read: SMTP client) only. It can be
set once in the global mailman configuration file. Users don't need to do
anything. It's completely transparent to them.

p at rick

--
state of mind
Digitale Kommunikation

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15      Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München              Telefax +49 89 3090 4666