[Mailman-Developers] Mailman and Submission port

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Nov 29 13:40:41 CET 2009

Patrick Ben Koetter writes:

 > I'd like to propose a change in MM3s default SMTP client port from port 25
 > (transport) to port 587 (submission).

I don't see a real justification for such a change, given the
authentication requirement.  While Mailman can be used in relatively
closed setups, its central mission remains the more-or-less open
discussion list as far as I can see.  Closed lists, announcement
lists, and the like are very common, but I don't think they are the
overwhelming majority of uses yet.  Until they are, changing the
default is an annoyance to many.

It might be interesting to have both ports open by default, allowing a
different policy to be applied to each one.