[Mailman-Developers] monthly password reminder bounce reaction

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Thu Jun 4 14:11:12 CEST 2009

On Jun 2, 2009, at 8:11 AM, Ian Eiloart wrote:

> The use case. If I'm changing an email address - eg moving jobs,
> I'll set up forwarding for a while, and change my subscriptions
> accordingly. If I don't get a message from a list before the old
> account is disabled, then I stop getting mail from that list. There
> must be other use cases.

I hope that we can address this through two new "features".  First,
you'll be able to associate multiple email addresses with your
account, and if one starts bouncing, Mailman can just flip over to the
next enabled one on your list.  Second, you'll be able to get password
resets (not reminders -- the passwords will now be encrypted!) just
like for every other site you're on.  Of course, I also plan to
support OpenID so you won't have to remember a bazillion passwords.

There is the case where you just don't remember you're on a mailing
list until it's too late (i.e. your old email has expired).  Once you
remember this, you should be able to log into your account, e.g. via
OpenID, and associate a new email address with it, then verify it and
get your deliveries working again.

-Barry