[Mailman-Developers] monthly password reminder bounce reaction

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jun 2 00:09:28 CEST 2009

Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:

>We, the Python.org postmasters, received about 2.200 bounces at Mailman day
>from monthly password reminders that did not reach the recipient.
>
>Ralf said such bounces do not increase a mailing list members bounce score.
>Is this correct? If it is, can we add such behaviour to the MM3 feature list?

The reminders go away in Mailman 3.0 as does the site list, so the
problem goes away.

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/aICB> for a description of the
issues and why this is happening.

I agree that 2200 bounces is a huge number to deal with manually. I'm
willing to work with you to find a way to deal with these
programmatically if you wish.

Just incrementing the bounce score for such a user on all lists of
which she is a member will not work, because as the FAQ notes, her
list delivery is probably disabled so the only bounces are the
password reminder, and likely, last month's bounce is stale when this
one arrives.

Removing the member from all lists is often the right thing, but
consider a member who is actually active on lists, but bounces
un-whitelisted mail and forgets to whitelist the site list. Then the
password reminder bounces and he is removed from all lists.